New beginnings with an old building

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 11.41.17DM Building & Restoration are proud to announce that they will be doing some exciting work at Royal Grammar School Guildford. A wonderful school and a wonderful building steeped in history – we are very excited about starting work with them and look forward to showing the results online soon. Below is more about the history of the school and should explain our eagerness to get to work.

The School was set up in 1509 after Robert Beckingham, a Freeman of the City of London, left a bequest in his will to establish a free school in Guildford.

In 1512, Beckingham’s executors formerly conveyed the lands in the bequest to a body of trustees consisting of the Mayor of Guildford and four ‘sad and discrete men’ who had formerly been mayors. With the rents they were to provide a free grammar school in Guildford with a ‘sufficient schoolmaster’. The architectural heart of the School has remained unchanged for nearly five hundred years: an outstanding and unspoilt Tudor school house has stood at the top of the High Street since the time when the Spanish Armada sailed up the Channel.